Search This Blog

Loading...

What do you think of allowing guest writers?

Monday, May 21, 2012

Ketogenic Diet


Recently, a friend of mine from high school contacted me about a diet that is great for loosing weight and is PCOS friendly. It is much like the Low GI Diet, but with a little more to it. My friend told me since he started he has lost about fifty pounds. Sounds great, right?

When it first told me about it, I immediately starting some online research and wasn't getting much luck. So yesterday, I messaged him and asked him if he could give me more links and information about it. He glady gave some great links to break it down.



So what is a Ketogenic Diet? Some people me know it is as LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) diet. The goal is to reduce you intake on carbs, and increase your intake on proteins.

What you can eat:

  • Meat (Any type but do try to use organic or grass fed meats)
  • Fish (Any type; salmon is a great fatty fish)
  • Eggs (Cook them any way you like; organic is better but not recommended)
  • Natural fats (like butter but olive oil and coconut oil are the best)
  • Vegetables growing above grounds.
  • Dairy products (Since most of my readers have PCOS, it is recommended to cut back on dairy. In moderation, it is pefectly fine.)
  • Nuts (Eat in moderation)
  • Berries (Eat in moderation)
What you can't eat:
  • Sugar
  • Starchy foods (potatoes, bread, and pasta)
  • Margarine (Actually has no health benefits and it just tastes yucky)
  • Beer (Contains yeast, so it's a 'liquid bread.')
  • Fruit (You don't have to eliminate it completely, but fruit does have natural sugars. Use as a substitute for desserts)
When you avoid sugar and starches, your body can then mantain a regular blood glucose level. If you are diabetic and cut out the sugar and starches, you may find it necessary to have your insulin medication reduced. If you start this diet, it is recommend to frequently check your blood sugar to avoid your sugar levels dropping to low.

Humans are meant to eat the natural foods God has given us. Years and years ago, early civilizations didn't eat boxed dinners, pasta, sweetners, and all of our other modern marvels. If you go with using organic meats, you are already taking care of your body. Animals don't need the help of humans to grow and be healthy but yet the nice sirloin steak you bought at the grocery store has been pumped with hormones. Also, the animals we eat don't force themselves on diets to be healthy. They eat what they are designed to eat and you can't get any healthier than that.

Interested yet? Good. =)
Now, if you are going to start the 'Keto' Diet, there are some things that you should keep in mind. It is recommend to stop eating all of the bad foods cold turkey. It sounds hard and painful, but I have faith in you! By going cold turkey, some people have experienced some side effects that have only lasted a few days. This includes tiredness, dizziness, heart palpitations, tiredness, and irratibility. Again, this will only last a few days. Eliminating the bad foods will stop your body's ability to retain water and will be lost through your kidneys. To avoid dehydration, drink plenty of water! There are people who don't go cold turkey but gradually reduce their intake, and they are still successful with the keto diet.
It is completely up to you when you feel like you have reached your ideal weight. If you have gotten to this point, gradually eat more freely.

All of this information was obtained from Diet Doctor. I highly recommended reading the entire article because it contains more in depth information, meal ideas, and a beginner's shopping list.

My advice is not to consider this as a diet. You are not counting calories or carbs, or even starving yourself like some diets do. You are just choosing better options and eating foods that are good for your body.

If you are still a little lost or still need more information, go HERE for more information. There is plenty of useful information about common concerns, myths, and much more.

If any of you guys decide to try this diet or have already started, please let me know how it goes! I love to hear how all of you are doing with your journey!

12 comments:

  1. Aρprесiating the time and effort уou ρut intο уour ωebsite аnԁ
    detailed infoгmation you pгeѕent.
    Ιt's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed material. Great read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account.
    My webpage > http://7ketobenefits.com/7-keto-weight-loss/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely website!
    And thank you so much for your support!
    My readers, as well as myself, greatly appreciate the information you provided!

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information! I'm on Day 3 of my Ketogenic diet, so far so good. Feeling much better today than I did the last 2 days. I've tried every other diet and exercise plan, so I'm hoping this helps in controlling the PCOS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!
    I pray that the Keto diet works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been in keto two weeks and I have
    Cos but have gained 7pounds, anyone know what it could be?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was supposed to say have pcos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you taking any medications or doing weight lifting type exercises?

    Also, have you completely eliminated carbs and sugars?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually realize what you are
    speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally
    consult with my website =). We may have a hyperlink trade arrangement between us
    My website: Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have PCOS and have lost 13 lbs on keto in two months. I've been trying to lose weight for years so I am positively thrilled that I finally found something that works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing, Amanda!
    I'm so happy that you already lost 13 lbs!
    Please keep me up to date on your progress! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was super
    long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm
    thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to
    everything. Do you have any suggestions for rookie blog writers?
    I'd certainly appreciate it.



    http://opensusehispano.com/fc/wiki/index.php?title=Usuario:GrazynaMu

    Feel free to surf to my web page; Mito slim reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First thing is first, the design of your blog (in my opinion) is perfect. It's simple and won't distract your readers. Too many visuals can cause your readers to loose focus on the point(s) you are trying to get across.

      Secondly, I have found that writing to your readers as if you were on a first name basis attracts more readers. This helps your readers see your mind set and makes them feel welcomed to your blog. Easiest way to connect with your readers is open up and share your experiences (based on the focus of your blog).

      Logos for a blog are second most important thing. Have a logo that includes your blogs name, and make it memorable. This will help readers who are first time visitors and came across your blog by chance remember you.

      Like businesses have a mission statement, one for a blog is also a good thing to have. It lets new readers know the general idea of what to expect when reading your posts.

      When writing, keep in mind that you satisfy everything your readers are looking for. For example if you are talking about a product, give the average price, where to get it, how it worked for you, pros and cons, etc. If talking about a personal experience, give your readers the story. Included your emotions and feelings. Blogging is becoming a bigger 'thing' because it's more personable. In a newspaper, you only get facts and partial truth. With blog, you have the freedom to spill the beans!!!

      I really hope this helps you and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!!!

      Delete